[RC] Pan Am Environment issues - EventXC

Hi all, after many months of lurking, I have decided to chime in a bit about
the issue on drinking, gi function etc.

I was at the Pan Ams with the Mountain Zone team and was at all of the vet
checks as a rider crew person and vet.  I saw Darolyn's horse come into the vet
check where she had problems and she was not exaggerating when she said the
poor guy was uncomfortable.  My condolences to her over her loss.

My husband is a high-time, professional pilot and accident investigator and,
for fun, I like to read his NTSB accident reports (weird but true).
Inevitably, there is never a single cause to an accident, but rather, the
proverbial
chain of events.  Some factors have more influence, but with most of them, if
one or two had been altered or recognized as the early warning signs they were,
then the accident could have been averted.  Sometimes, as those of us with
competition horses know, there are false alarms. (BTW, I no longer do
endurance,
but have switched to the much safer discipline of 3 Day Eventing).  However,
every situation is different and what might have appeared to be a false alarm
before, may have only been so because one of the body's safety systems may have
caught and resolved the problem or the threshhold of danger was almost but
not quite exceeded.

My left brain makes me evaluate equine competitive misfortunes, injuries or
accidents similar to aircraft accidents.  All possible factors or warnings are
reviewed and evaluated as to their importance.  Darolyn has discussed the
factors associated with stomach overfill...but let's go further.  Why would the
stomach overfill besides just putting more in?  Anything that would delay
emptying.  Here are two other factors with Adios for everyone to think about
and
where they could have played parts in this particular incident.  If we learn
from
what Adios has to teach us all about competitive horses then his loss leaves
behind something of value that could help others.  A team discussion on this
guarantees that all factors are considered and, who knows, perhaps one of those
things might stick enough someone's brain to allow it to pop up when it might
be crucial in a future situation.

First, altitude change.  A few days at a higher altitude is not enough to
fully acclimate.  Granted, this wasn't Everest, but nevertheless, we are
dealing
with tissues at maximum performance that need every molecule of oxygen.  In a
race, the gut muscles of our amazing herbivore, must share that load with
skeletal muscles, brain and heart.  Does every animal prioritize oxygen
consumption the same way?  If they did then they would all perform alike and
what would
be the point of a race.  Decreased oxygen available to the gut muscles could
have caused them to slow down and function less efficiently.  Consideration of
your horse's ability or inability to compensate for ambient oxygen load must
be considered when pacing yourself or determining nutrient and electrolyte
consumption.

Second, mental state.  Darolyn stated in her letter that Adios was very
concerned a few days before the ride that his buddies had been separated from
him.
In fact, she stated that he had been VERY concerned, by that I interpret that
he had been very vocal and agitated.  Not unheard of in our herd animals.
That state of agitation leads to very strong physiologic actions, such as the
release of various hormones and chemicals from the adrenal glands and other
tissues.  The 'fight or flight'  or sympathetic chemicals released in that
state
gear the body up for survival, and eating isn't one of those things needed
while running from the tiger. Therefore, the oxygen supply to the gut is
rerouted
to more important things and motility is not only slowed due to that, but also
due to direct chemical signals telling the muscles to decrease activity.
Also, recent human research shows that the neuropeptide mediators of emotion
have direct physiologic functions as well and the gut is one of the largest
source of neuropeptide receptors (see Candace Pert, Molecules of Emotion).
These
stressors may take a few days to rebalance and fully resolve.  Therefore, the
EMOTIONAL response of Adios to being alone could in and of itself changed gut
function (perhaps that is my problem before my dressage test).  Now if Adios
had been at home, probably nothing would have come of this emotional stress,
but
a few days later additional stresses were placed on his body and, perhaps,
this fretful incident deprived his body of some of its reseliency to handle the
difficult situations ecountered on such a demanding ride.

Sooo, what does this mean?  As endurance riders, many factors go into play to
make an endurance team successful.  Experienced riders take in the
information on the status of their mount constantly (sometimes at a subconcious
level)
throughout a tough ride.  How that information is interpreted for appropriate
action depends on how you mentally set parameters and threshholds in the outset
of a ride.  In otherwords, what are you going to be worried about? We all do
this threshhold setting whether we realize it or not.  You right brainers (a
term not to be taken negatively) call this intuition.

By reflecting beforehand on the little things that could be tiny warning
bells, a good rider is not panicking, but rather setting the level of concern
for
those particular and unique environmental conditions.  If I take my horse who
grew up and is conditioned in the Rocky Mtns and haul him to a ride in the
Sierra Nevadas, I am not going to be as concerned about some things as I would
be
if I took him to Texas where the humidity and heat is not only greater but
unfamiliar to my four-legged organism's rebalancing systems (homeostasis).  I
think (and hope) everyone understands what I am getting at.

The big thing is to recognize potential factors and address them if you can
before the race starts.  Altitude?  Not much you can do about that other than
not do rides at altitude if your horse isn't used to it or give more
acclimation time (if possible with your boss at your REAL job).  Mental state?
Before
check in, there's alot that can be done, but (as per my bias) mostly with
alternative therapies - if you use them.  Flower essences, herbs, homeopathic
remedies, acupuncture can all calm an anxious animal down and return him/her to
physiologic balance quicker.  Most of these adjuncts are usable right before a
ride check-in and some after.

No doubt there were several factors involved in poor Adios' case.  I hope
Darolyn doesn't woulda-shoulda-coulda herself into sleepless nights.  However,
once the empty stall is cleaned and the tears wiped, we should all reflect on
close calls we have had with our own animals and consider all the possible
'what
ifs'.  It is best to make decisions about the 'what ifs' at home in bed so,
if and when something happens at a ride, the decision making is in familiar
territory and possibly easier.

Kim Henneman, DVM
Park City Utah USA
Holistic vet, sometime pilot, baggy-eyed endurance crew person and yahoo
event rider (and yes, dressage can be fun!)

--- Begin Message ---
Hi all, after many months of lurking, I have decided to chime in a bit about
the issue on drinking, gi function etc.

I was at the Pan Ams with the Mountain Zone team and was at all of the vet
checks as a rider crew person and vet.  I saw Darolyn's horse come into the vet
check where she had problems and she was not exaggerating when she said the
poor guy was uncomfortable.  My condolences to her over her loss.

My husband is a high-time, professional pilot and accident investigator and,
for fun, I like to read his NTSB accident reports.  Inevitably, there is never
[...]

should be reviewed and evaluated as to their importance.  Darolyn has discussed
the factors associated with stomach overfill...but let's go further.  Why would
the stomach overfill besides just putting more in?  Anything that would delay
emptying.  Here are two other factors with Adios that must be considered for
[...]

Therefore, the EMOTIONAL response of Adios to be alone could in and of
themselves
changed gut function (perhaps that is my problem before my dressage test).

Sooo, what does this mean?  As endurance riders, many factors go into play to
make an endurance team successful.  Experienced riders take in the
information on the status of their mount constantly (sometimes at a subconcious
level)
throughout a tough ride.  How that information is interpreted for appropriate
action depends on how you mentally set parameters and threshholds in the outset
of a ride.  In othewords, what are you going to be worried about? We all do
this threshhold setting whether we realize it or not.  You right brainers (a
term not to be taken negatively) call this intuition.

By reflecting beforehand on the little things that could be tiny warning
bells, a good rider is not panicking, but rather setting the level of concern
for
those particular and unique environmental conditions.  If I take my horse who
grew up and is conditioned in the Rocky Mtns and haul him to a ride in the
Sierra Nevadas, I am not going to be as concerned about some things as I would
be
if I took him to Texas where the humidity and heat is not only greater but
unfamiliar to my four-legged organism's rebalancing systems (homeostasis).  I
think (and hope) everyone understands what I am getting at.

The big thing is recognize potential factors and address them if you can
[...]

if and when something happens at a ride, the decision making is familiar
territory.

Kim Henneman, DVM
Park City Utah USA
Holistic vet, sometime pilot, baggy-eyed endurance crew person and yahoo
event rider (and yes, dressage can be fun!)

--- End Message ---