Re: [RC] Education - doing something about it - Heidi Smith

>I had originally brought this up (on the AERC MEMBERS list) as an idea to catch just these folks.  For the RIDER's first "x" rides (I think 3, but the number is open to discussion!) they must ride as "RED CARDS".  A red card rider can have additional parameters set either by AERC or the Ride manager to keep them slow enough to give their horse a chance to stay safe.

The main problem with this concept is that it fosters the notion that after those however-many rides, the rider is then competent to race.  Not so--some riders are NEVER competent to race, no matter HOW many they do.  Just as an example--this would not have made a whit of difference to the case under discussion, as that rider DID do three conservative rides before putting the pedal to the metal...

Heidi