From: Heidi Smith [mailto:heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Saturday, August 23, 2003 8:47 AM
To: Dana B.; ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC] Education

>I have to agree with Kim.  The resouces are there if you take the trouble to look for them and use them.

And again, I'll remind all that I specifically asked how we educate "people like her."  Those who take the trouble to look for the resources are easy.  It is the other kind we need to address.  And perhaps "educate" was a poor choice of words--how do we step in and intervene when it is clear that they have NOT sought the education?  A part of the problem here is that because WE are compassionate and understanding of our horses, we assume that others have the same approach.  And when we find out that we were wrong, it is easy to wallow in anger and shock and horror over what "they" did.  What I'm trying to do here is to jolt us out of the convenience of our anger and to look at where we might have stepped in, had we only known.  Perhaps I am closer to this, as a ride vet--I HAVE to take action if someone isn't doing right by their horse.  But I think it is something we ALL need to consider.  I did a lot of soul-searching about how we could have prevented the death-by-abuse of a horse at a ride in 1983.  It was mind-boggling that anyone could be so dense as the woman who rode this horse to death.  But the reality is that there ARE people like that out there.  So the burden is on us to recognize the warning signs.  If those involved learned that from this horse, then there has been a forward step here.  But if all that was accomplished was anger and shock and horror a year later on RC when the protest is finalized, then we haven't learned a bloody thing, and the next one will die, too.

Heidi