Re: [RC] Education - doing something about it - Heidi Smith

Melanie, In theory this sounds ok but there are  people out there  who
know
horses and endurance but due to circumstances aren't able to attend  many
rides each year. for LD  riders that is how many  rides?

I have to agree with Patty here.  Different people have different learning
curves, and different horses have different aptitudes.  If a savvy rider
gets a good horse, does his homework, gets the horse well-socialized,
well-trained, and fit, they may be ready for Top Tens almost "right out of
the box."  On the other hand, there are people out there with miles in the
thousands who are still clueless about horse care.  There is no magic number
of miles.

I do believe that there are people who are not educable.  They either don't
want to know, or they can't perceive that there is anything missing.  We
(ride vets, ride managers, and even fellow riders) need to be alert to the
danger signs.  Lynne's post about keeping a data base is good.  I am also
convinced that as we move farther and farther from our rural roots as a
culture, we will encounter more and more people who have no empathy and no
apparent concern for their animals--simply because there is nothing in their
background that suggests that there should be.   They think that they
care--but they lack the necessary tools (almost like a lack in their souls
somehow) to really understand that this animal has just done something that
could possibly threaten his equilibrium, and that monitoring might be
prudent.  Heck, humans themselves are rarely pushed to such limits anymore,
and if they are (through stress or illness) we tend to "protect" our kids
from seeing them in duress, etc.  It is almost like some primordial thing
has been cut out of our culture.  So I think we will be seeing more cases
like this, and not less.  And we need to learn to see them coming.

I do think that one thing to possibly be learned from this incident is that
it might behoove ride management to add a line to the ride entry that asks
something to the effect of whether you are staying on the grounds with your
horse or not, and if not, where can you be reached and who is the person
designated to be in charge of your horse in your absence.  (It is so
ingrained in me as an endurance rider that one stays in a trailer or a
camper or a tent right next to one's horse that I get the heebie jeebies
going to shows or exhibitions and staying off the grounds.  So I suppose
that to people who come into endurance from that world, it seems just as
strange that one needs to stay with one's horse...)

Heidi