Re: [RC] whackos everywhere - Ibiteraaarr

<<I am appalled at all the replies condoning beating, whacking and hitting a horse on the head. What is wrong with me that I can't see the human compassion in that? Or the intelligence of the theory that beating is ok because it is a horse? Because it is big and dangerous? So is your truck, and if you can't drive, stay out of it. >>

Lisa, I don't think people are condoning BEATING a horse. There is a HUGE difference between discipline and abuse. I have not seen a post yet that advocates beating the animal brutally. What people *are* offering is laying a foundation of strict punishment when necessary. And that's the keyword. Maybe the wording is not coming across correctly to you. I can only speak for myself when I say that no one's post seems brutal or abusive. Granted, I don't like the idea of using a (wooden?) closet pole or a 2x4 on the animal. THAT seems a bit much to me. But a coke bottle or plastic bat? The reason I am offering my two bits is that one of our geldings has a rearing problem.  He is herd-sour and when he's ready to go home and my sister doesn't make the corner back, he throws a tantrum and takes to rearing. That is DISOBEDIANT no matter how you put it. As someone described it earlier, he is a "spoiled shit." We don't beat him or abuse him, but you damned right we smack the hell out of him. I've never thought to try Howard's idea about the neck pressure or smacking Toulouse on the head when he misbehaves, but I'd like to give both of those a try. That does not make me evil or cruel or incompassionate any more then it makes Toulouse a bad animal for constantly challenging the rider's authority. We still love him and we still spoil him and give him treats and take the best care of him, but we're not about to let him make the command decisions. As far as comparing horses to trucks, that's not really a good analogy as trucks are not living beings, and were not given minds of their own. Horses are our passion in life. We want to have a rescue farm for them. But that does not mean it's ok for Toulouse to have his way whenever he feels like it. Riding is a partnership with no bullying from either the rider or the horse. I guess I'll also be filed away with the "whackers" but I like my horses to behave and I have no problem spanking them as a mother would her child.

Just my two bits,
Liz in Louisiana