Re: [RC] Endurance horses to slaughter? - Karen Sullivan

----- Original Message -----
From: "csimmons88" <csimmons88@xxxxxxxxx>

A lot of people were upset when a trainer I was taking lessons from put
her
favorite 14 yr old horse down because of unsoundness & she chose not to
support her into old age.  It was her comment that impressed me back then.
She couldn't justify the cost for 10/15 years and refused to give/sell her
to a "good home" as she had experienced to many times over the years how
the
'good homes' had to pass the horse on at some point & the horse ended up
in
circumstances that were less than desireable.

Sorry to run on but I have just been looking at this decision & the
options
hit close to home.

Cindy

Cindy, ths is an extemely sensitive subject for me, as I once gave a horse
away to what I thought was a good home, and they ended up not feeding her
for months, until another lady took her on.  I was just devastated when I
found out..

I see nothing wrong with putting an unsound horse down.  I have seen horses
supported into old age that could barely walk across their paddocks
(navicular, ringbone,sidebone, etc).  It is a kindness to recognize this and
put them down,and out of their pain.

It would be nice to think we could support all our old horses until it is
their time to go...but not everyone has acres and acres of property , or
cheap hay.  I have given away, or sold for nominal fee, two horses I could
have retired on my property.   However, both went to homes where they get
more personal attention and care than they did with me, and seem extremely
happy.
Karen