Re: [RC] Endurance horses to slaughter? - Maryanne Stroud Gabbani

Living in a country that has both the problem of little space for extra beings of any kind (unless they are lizards) and little in the way of monetary resources to maintain aging horses, humans, whatever, I have a hard time condemning people who choose to put a horse down. Riding horses here are the pleasure of the relatively rich and if they are sold due to unsoundness they end up in a hack stable with rotten care or they end up pulling a cart. It is a painful tribute to the heart of horses that I have seen them hauling loads with problems that should have had them three-legged lame. Arabs don't eat horse. Sometimes there is something in the news about some butcher who is selling donkeys unbeknownst to his customers and retribution is swift and nasty....Egyptian jail is no joke. There is also a belief that God calls us in our time, and that goes for horses and dogs as well. Well, I think that sometimes God calls US about our animal friends because the line is clearer.

I don't sell horses...ever. I've been asked to but I won't, so I also don't buy horses no matter how pretty they are and I don't breed more than I can handle. Right now the population is 6 at my place, all the way from a yearling colt to a 28+ mare who mostly holds the paddock down and looks pretty. You make the choices that you are able to....my horses are very lucky. I also was lucky enough to place a rather ornery Appaloosa/WB jumper with a good friend of mine in jumping. Tatoush takes good care of Jack, but he knows that if/when he isn't able to, Jack comes back to me. He's a karmic debt.

Maryanne
Cairo, Egypt