[RC] Endurance horses to slaughter? - mabbott

Last week, Suzanne Boyd posted a link to the ESPN article about Ferdinand.
If you haven't read it yet, please do so now!

http://espn.go.com/horse/columns/misc/1589423.html

I am wondering, if we did a similar thing to the Racing Forum, that is print
a series of "what ever happened to articles" following up on old Tevis
winners, would we find some had found a similar fate at the slaughter house?

One of the things I have always enjoyed about endurance folks is the extra
care for and bond they seem to have with their horses--many keeping their
horses for life.  But a few months back there was some discussion on
endurance net where there was mention of people feeling it was fine to send
their old horses to the "knackers" and the rest of us were being too
judgmental. Hey, these horses KNOW what you are doing to them! No judgement
there-it's a fact. (READ the article!)  For the ones whose quality of life
has diminished to the point that they can't or shouldn't go on, being
quietly put down by a vet is much better, or even shot if that option is not
available.

For those who still think sending their horses to the "knackers" is
acceptable, please READ THE ARTICLE.  Or, go to the slaughterhouse with your
horse, like the woman did with Ferdinand.  It's the least you can do for and
old friend who has carried you for mile after mile...

--
WizWire Communications Web-based E-Mail
www.wizwire.com