Re: [RC] Why Do I Ride? - Heidi Smith

>The old cowboys taught me early on,   "No point getting thirsty till you get where the water is.   Don't get hungry till you get to where supper is."
"Never ride your horse harder than it takes to get the job done."    And the unquestioned, hard and fast rule,  "Take care of your horse first, no matter how tired you are."

Y'know, Dot (and I ain't ashamed to admit this on a public forum, sniff, sniff)--in all the years I've been endurance riding, whenever someone mentions the old code of honor where you took care of the horse first, before you ever thought about taking care of yourself, you're the first person that comes to my mind.  You've been one of my horseman heroes for a lot of years, and what you just said above is why.  I hope you enjoy a lot more years in the saddle, too--I sure as heck appreciate seeing you out there!  :-)

Heidi  (who's been around long enough to remember that Dot's good old QH stallion Scotch and Soda was the first stallion of ANY breed to earn 1000 miles in the NW--and maybe to get to 2000, too...)