Linda Hedgpeth wrote:
From: PSulli6429@xxxxxxx <mailto:PSulli6429@xxxxxxx>

    In a message dated 1/13/2003 7:27:06 PM Pacific Standard Time,
    ridecamp-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:ridecamp-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
    writes:

"They were sort of bringing the cheerleaders down to earth."

I never post to ridecamp. Mostly because I find it more a place
where people
get together and slam one another than actually use it as a useful
tool. Which is a shame really, when you think of the combined years of
knowledge
regarding the sport that must exist on ridecamp. But Ridecamp is
what you
make it.

This one comment bothered me enough to post this time. Why does
anyone feel
it is necessary to "bring the cheerleaders down to earth". Someone
accomplished something we all hope for in this sport a BC. I
certainly have
never obtained such a goal. But when people want to give
congratulations and
support to someone who maybe in the past has had issues, then they
should be
allowed to do so without being "brought down to earth". Shouldn't we
be here
to support each others successes rather than harping on past
indiscretions? Just a thought that perhaps we should focus on the positives rather
than the
negatives for a change.

What does tickle me is the constant reference to "REAL" endurance
rider. Statements such as "LD's are not "REAL" endurance riders. " "So and
so is
not a "REAL" endurance rider." Patty, I share your feelings expressed in this post and wonder about
these things from time to time myself. It actually can go even
further than "bringing the cheerleaders down to earth" and "Real vs
Not-Real". It can get as petty as "I've got more AERC miles than
him/her, so I am better and know more." If one's collective horse
experience is from other equine disciplines, sports, etc., it still
doesn't matter.............it's all about the accumulated miles one
can write after one's name. If someone debates a subject here long
enough, that will always come up. The mileage checkers go to work
researching and then "they" determine knowledge based on that alone.
I've never quite figured out the
distinction there either. Maybe I am missing the point or maybe I
just don't
feel the need to label those around me as "REAL" or "UNREAL".

Some folks really get off on this labeling thing. I believe it
feeds their need to feel superior.
One last thing.................You say there is an endurance list
out there where people are polite and helpful......and it's not a
perpetual hen party? Can a non-S. Californian subscribe?
Linda......a Not Real Endurance Racer with only a few LD miles and
the other stuff don't count......

--
Bette Lamore
Whispering Oaks Arabians