Re: [RC] BC's Cheerleaders & Harleys - Linda Hedgpeth

In a message dated 1/13/2003 7:27:06 PM Pacific Standard Time,
ridecamp-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

"They were sort of bringing the cheerleaders down to earth."

I never post to ridecamp.  Mostly because I find it more a place where people
get together and slam one another than actually use it as a useful tool.
Which is a shame really, when you think of the combined years of knowledge
regarding the sport that must exist on ridecamp.  But Ridecamp is what you
make it.

This one comment bothered me enough to post this time.  Why does anyone feel
it is necessary to "bring the cheerleaders down to earth".  Someone
accomplished something we all hope for in this sport a BC.  I certainly have
never obtained such a goal.  But when people want to give congratulations and
support to someone who maybe in the past has had issues, then they should be
allowed to do so without being "brought down to earth". Shouldn't we be here
to support each others successes rather than harping on past indiscretions?
Just a thought that perhaps we should focus on the positives rather than the
negatives for a change.

What does tickle me is the constant reference to "REAL" endurance rider.
Statements such as "LD's are not "REAL" endurance riders. "  "So and so is
not a "REAL" endurance rider."

Patty, I share your feelings expressed in this post and wonder about these things from time to time myself.  It actually can go even further than "bringing the cheerleaders down to earth" and "Real vs Not-Real".  It can get as petty as "I've got more AERC miles than him/her, so I am better and know more."  If one's collective horse experience is from other equine disciplines, sports, etc., it still doesn't matter.............it's all about the accumulated miles one can write after one's name.  If someone debates a subject here long enough, that will always come up.  The mileage checkers go to work researching and then "they" determine knowledge based on that alone.

I've never quite figured out the
distinction there either.  Maybe I am missing the point or maybe I just don't
feel the need to label those around me as "REAL" or "UNREAL".

Some folks really get off on this labeling thing.  I believe it feeds their need to feel superior.

One last thing.................You say there is an endurance list out there where people are polite and helpful......and it's not a perpetual hen party?   Can a non-S. Californian subscribe?

Linda......a Not Real Endurance Racer with only a few LD miles and the other stuff don't count......