[RC] What I learned at Winding Stair ride - Kathy

I think the CT. region now has it's own Tevis ride!!   What a scenic and
beautiful ride but turned out to be tough and long and the humid weather
didn't help any but we did get some cooling showers and then a downpour before
it was over.  One thing about endurance rides you always learn something.
Lesson number one:  Check electrolytes before leaving camp and the vet checks.
I could not get any electrolytes to come out to my lyte now sryinges and this
almost cost me the ride.  I got new ones at the check and they didn't work
either.  Lucky I did have some other electrolytes at the vet check.  Lesson
number two:  A screw driver would be a better tool to carry than a hoof pick.
Got a huge rock caught in my horse's foot and my hoof pick wouldn't budge it.
Glad a nice gentleman was riding with me and he was able to get it out.
Lesson number three:  Don't quit if you think you might be out of time before
the ride is over.  I went on just to see the trail since my horse was fine and
I was still wanting to ride more.  Several times I thought for sure I was the
last rider on trail. Ended up getting completion and even in top 10.  Thanks
to Mary Mosshammer and Jenetta Surgeon for putting on this ride. Quite an
undertaking for sure.  Also thanks to the vets who kept the lines down in the
vet checks even though a lot of horses came in at once and for helping us get
through the ride in good shape.  A special thanks to my husband, Bud, who
managed to help me at the check plus take pulses at the PR checks.  Happy
Trails, Kathy Crothers