Re: [RC] stallions (short) and after ride care - Maggie Mieske

A couple more stallion comments....I appreciate Heidi's position that
stallions do not NEED to have sex.  I still think a person SHOULD consider
market when deciding to keep a horse a stallion or not...IF they might ever
be used for breeding (not saying they MUST have sex) then they ought to be
contributing something important to the gene pool.  JMO.
After ride care:  Malik has a nap.  (OK, sometimes he has a nap during the
ride, too!).  Except for some fresh food and water and a good roll in the
dirt, he likes some down time.   I am starting to understand that.  He
doesn't mind a little bit of fussing but then he wants to be left alone.
ME, TOO.  :)  I watch his legs (I don't wrap), monitor his E, D, P and P.
IF the ride is close to home (say within an hour, we may go home after
awards...he is just happier in his own pasture).  We left early at White
River this year because we had transportation issues that we needed help
with and our genius mechanic/pit crew had to leave the next day to go back
home and he was our "back up" if we couldn't make it.  We made it.  I do
prefer to stay the night however.  Nelson and I will take turns checking on
the horse(s), sometimes take them for a little walkabout.  Usually they are
resting and sleeping and we don't bother with that until morning.  I like
them to be able to stretch their legs before we head out and grass grazing
always seems to be appreciated.  :)  We do aim to please.
Miles of smiles,
Maggie