[RC] stallions (short) and after ride care - Laura Hayes

I grew up at Sandarac Arabians in Illinois (I was there when Sandarac
Sanraven was born)  As a kid, I rode two stallions - Shalimar Dante and
Shalimar Tarde (Sanraven's sire).  We rode these two stallions out to work
cattle, fix fence and everything else you can do with a horse.  When I say
we, I mean the small group of teenage girls that came year after year to
work at Sandarac.  We were mindful of the company, but we rode with mares,
young stock and other stallions.  Both horses were used for breeding (we
handled them for that also, with supervision) and Dante was shown by me.  We
never had a problem, but most always rode with a crop, and did not hesitate
to use it if the boy got a little too interested in something he shouldn't.
We, as well as the stallions, were taught discipline and safety at all
times - it worked.  Too bad all stallions and young girls aren't!!

After ride care:
   I think it is important to walk and graze the horse frequently after
rides (and staying over night is very important).  I get up at night and
walk my horse every few hours and NEVER see anyone else up after a ride.  Of
course it depends on what kind of overnight system you employ, but even with
a pen, I am a firm believer in a good walk every few hours - it allows me to
observe my horse, and to spend some quality time with them - maybe seeing
things you might not if you fell in bed and didn't pay much attention.

Laura Hayes AERC#2741