Re: [RC] Grain At Rides - Heidi Smith

Depending on the circumstances (ie, more than 2-3 hours since the last
meal
and eating more than about 4 pounds of ANY type of feed) will produce
fluid
shifts up to 4-5 gallons from the plasma volume into the GI tract for
several hours.  In research ponies, the decrease in plasma volume was
between 15-24%, which is a huge amount if the animal is already fighting
off
dehydration effects.

While it varies from horse to horse, I've found that mine tend to drink just
about as much whether they have wet feed or dry feed--so getting an extra
gallon or so in via the feed is fairly significant in terms of lessening
this effect.

I'm okay with small amounts of alfalfa
here and there throughout the ride for the extra calcium.  My only
addition
is that I don't like feeding grain less than four hours before the start.
By then, it isn't helping with the overall energy picture and his gas tank
should have long since been filled to the brim.

Ditto the alfalfa.  I prefer it to adding calcium supplements, personally,
plus the horses often seem to like it during the ride.  My only concern is
really HOT rides--and if it is a 100-miler, there is usually some point
later in the day that it is beginning to cool off anyway.  I've used a
somewhat shorter window with grain pre-ride (2 hours) but then I never feed
much then, either--maybe a pound, tops.  (And I tend to only do that with
horses that are really campaigning hard.  Not there yet with the one that is
helping me struggle my own way back up through LDs as I try to get my own
self fit again, for example.)  I agree that the gas tank should already be
pretty well full.  But then I'm also used to horses who will happily
continue to consume 40# of grass hay daily right up to the minute I get into
the saddle and at every possible opportunity through the ride, and I'm faced
this year for the first time with a horse who is somewhat put off from
eating hay by the trip, so am now playing with beet pulp and Senior with
him.  He's liking it at home, so am hoping that will translate to the road
trip.  (And to his credit, he is also learning better.  And he starts eating
better once he's done a loop.  Plus I think it will help immensely when we
get some succulent first cutting in a few more weeks...)

Heidi