Re: [RC] Grain At Rides - Heidi Smith

>I need some input as to whether or not you feed grain while at rides.  I know some who feed no grain, even on hundreds.  I know others who feed grain darnnear free choice.

First of all, one has to understand if one is talking about "grain" (ie products that are truly just or mostly cereal grains) or about preformulated concentrates that may have a lot of thins in them besides grain.  Truman mentioned high fat products--and no, I DON'T want those close before or during a ride, because fat slows gastric emptying, and I want the gut motility as good as I can possibly keep it.  Other products such as Equine Senior (also mentioned) have grain but also have forages in them--so one is getting essentially the same thing that one would get if one mixed grain, hay pellets and beet pulp all up together.

That said--the main thing with grain is to keep the individual meals small.  I'm not even as brave as some as SuG's advice--I've never fed more than 3 lbs of grain to ANY horse in a given feeding, and that only to one horse, ever.  But giving a pound at a time fairly frequently during the ride works fine.  What I do depends on the horse and how hard we are campaigning and how far we are going.  Right now I'm just getting a horse going--he is ready for 50's but I'm not sure if I am yet, so we just did an LD last weekend.  All he gets in addition to his hay is a bit of Equine Senior, although I'm adding a very small amount of beet pulp and a touch of grain to his diet now just to get him used to them, as he does not eat like a Hoover vacuum cleaner pre-ride the way my other horses have.  (He is learning, to his credit.)  But when I was campaigning horses for 1000+ mile seasons, they might well get a pound a couple of hours pre-ride and a pound at each vet check--and these days I'd put that in beet pulp, although riders were just beginning to discover the merits of that last time I had one do that sort of a season.  So during a 100-miler, a horse might well get 7 or 8 pounds of grain (I'm talking real actual grain here, not Senior, not beet pulp, not some mix).

As to slurries--I'm a big fan of wet food at rides.  Horses tend to be already dehydrated, and IMO they have to "download" a lot less saliva to process the feed, never mind that even what saliva they do "download" you are at least partially replacing by putting moisture right back into the gut.  Although it isn't near enough water to make up for their water losses, it is at least a start.  Also, they are less apt to choke on wet feed.  (Maybe SuG can share the incredible numbers again on the amount of fluid that has to shift in order to process food--when there isn't fluid in the body to spare for that process, unless you are also putting it back in!  Yeah, the water you add to the food doesn't come close to replacing it--but it is that much less that they need to drink!)

Best general plan I've seen (with variations for individual horses) is all the grass hay they can eat for several days preride, during the trip to the ride, and at the ride.  Add beet pulp and/or Senior to that as needed.  Remove any fat supplements or high-fat concentrates prior to the ride and replace those concentrates with similar concentrates such as Senior.  Then add the carbs as you work, together with whatever sloppy product works well for that particular horse to keep him happy to eat at every check.  Soaking hay in muck tubs at vet checks also really helps.

Heidi