Re: [RC] [RC] [RC] re: hobbling to saddle - Shelley Kerr

>>NH isn't always one specific type of training.<<

Really? How so? I'm not being critical or anything, I just don't know anything about NH. My introduction to it wasn't good and I've never looked twice.

NH is  more a thought process and philosophy, not so much any type of training.  Treat a horse as a horse but within the parameters of keeping ourselves safe.  I can groom you, but you can't groom me.  I can walk into your space, but you're not allowed in mine unless I ask you to.  I gain your trust and respect by treating you like a horse and having control of your movements, just as an alpha mare would.  Horses are flee animals and react with fear.  In most cases if a horse charges, rears, runs, it is out of fear and fear is sometimes turned into aggression when the option to flee is eliminated.  Just like cornering a wild animal.  They're not so cute any more and are very dangerous.  NH is being active, not reactive... being able to see, feel, touch, hear, etc what the horse will do before he/she does it.   It's savvy, a relationship, a partnership, and understanding.

>>If you can't read a horse it doesn't matter what type of training technique you use, it's not going to work.<<

Yep, that's so true. I've been blessed with a pretty natural feel, and I started young, I think that helps. I was one of those teenage slave labor girls that all riding schools have, and it paid off. By the time I was 16 I was working two jobs and catch riding several horses, I would do anything to afford my habit!

Steph