Re: [RC] [FWD: Is there any code of ethics in endurance horse selling?] - Susan Young Casey

Endurance riders are just like everyone else.  There are good and there are bad.

When you sold your horse, the buyer had no responsibility to you after he paid you.

That said, I can certainly understand why you are upset.  This was your baby.  Perhaps you should've sold him to someone nearer to you.

Not every horse works out for every person.  Just because the horse went to an endurance rider doesn't mean the horse worked out for that person.  Of course that person is going to ask a higher price because he's had to shoe and feed the horse.  That doesn't mean he'll get that much; he may take a reduced figure too.  But, quite frankly, that's his business now.

Many horses are started on the 50.  When ridden properly, it's probably better for the horse.  Many folk do ride in the bad winter so the horse could have been conditioned.  I don't know that and wouldn't give it much thought if I were looking at the horse.  I NEVER ASSume anything!

I'm the type of person that would have let you know if the horse didn't work out for me and see if you wanted to buy him back.  However, that's not expected.  Anytime money is involved, it IS a business and should be treated as such.  Emotions shouldn't play into the transaction because when they do, a bad decision will be made.

Now, you can ask 5000 endurance riders what they think about your situation and you'll get 5001 different answers.  We are not all alike.  While I may have done things differently were I the new owner or even you, I don't disagree with either one of your actions.

The only way you can assure your horse has the type of home you want for him is to keep him and give it to him.  After you sell him, it's completely out of your hands and no longer your business.

I sincerely hope things work out for you.  Best wishes!

Susan Young Casey, Princess of Pink, LIW, RRHA, RHS
Semper Obliquo (Always aside)

Glenndale Grace Farm, Ft Gibson, Oklahoma U.S.A.

"Ride on! Rough-shod if need be, smooth-shod if that will do, but ride on! Ride on over all obstacles,
and win the race!" - Charles Dickens (1812-1870)

Do you Yahoo!?