[RC] [FWD: Is there any code of ethics in endurance horse selling?] - jinglynx

--- Begin Message ---
This is my first experiance with the world of endurance riders. I had a six
year old pure bred gelding whom I raised since he was a weanling.
unfortunately, he was not being riden much due to my work schedule. I knew he
was well suited for endurance and wanted him to have a career, not stand around
here in the pasture at his young age. So I posted him for sale on endurance
net. Many nice people inguired. I lowered my price from $3,500 to $2,200 to
accomodate a buyer in another state. I was very happy he was going to such a
wonderful new home! However, I felt horrible when the day came just a mere six
weeks ago-- and the hired horse haulers arrived to take him to another state in
a flimsy stock trailer with no bedding or feed in the cold of winteer. but,
after supplying them with bedding and feed, I let my horse go. (I also covered
the cost of the Coggings certificate and all pre-shipping vet work.)

A few days ago, I found out that this horse is now posted for sale again on
ride camp, back up at his original price. It also states that he is ready for
his first 50 mile ride. Even though I have left several messages in the past
month asking how the horse is doing, I never received any notice from the new
owner that there was any problem and he was going up for sale again. I left an
email again the other day and still have not received a response. According to
the ad, he is supposedly ready to do his "first 50" this month.

I am SAD, SICK, & CONFUSED. Please tell me, endurance riders, your opinions.
First of all I NEVER thought my horse would be up for sale again. So, I didn't
think of this at the time. But wouldn't you expect the person who bought the
horse to contact me and offer to sell him back at the reduced price I sold him
for, or at least explain the situation to me and offer to let me know where he
ends up? Also, because this horse was "my baby" I can't help but wonder if he
is really ready == in less than Two months time, much of it during bad winter
weather-- to go out and do a 50 mile. Shouldn't he be started on a 25 mile ride
first?

I wanted this horse to have a good life with someone year after year someone
who really cared about him. This is what I ecpected ( I guess naiively) when I
looked into selling him for endurance. But I think I made a terrible mistake,
and am begining to wonder about endurance. Is it really different than the
usual horse "Business" ?

--- End Message ---