Re: [RC] To breed or not to breed - Heidi Smith

There are thousands and
thousands of excess, unwanted horses (dogs, kitties, etc etc etc) bred by
people that just wanted them as a hobby.  This is NOT a judgement on you,
Amanda.  It was just my own personal feeling that if I was going to put a
foal
on the ground, then it was my responsibility to provide a home for life
and
never foist it onto an already overburdened market.

While I applaud the concept that one should not "overburden" a market, I
would also point out that not all excess animals are created equal, and that
it can be very difficult to find a useful and athletic horse among the dross
that is being discarded.  (This used to be less true as riding-type horses
were discarded in favor of fads, but because of that very trend, most of
what is being bred and discarded these days is last year's fad, far too
often not suitable to do much of anything.)  I don't think it is "foisting"
horses off at all to breed the types of horses that RIDERS want to buy, who
want to be able to see the end result in front of them instead of breeding
it themselves, and who want to shortcut all that time waiting for the baby
to gestate and grow up.

I already made my suggestions as to what Amanda should strive to do, should
she opt to do this--and to that, I would add that if the hobby breeder does
his or her homework and sticks to useful sorts of horses, then in the event
that they are NOT able to keep the horse at some point, their odds of
finding said horse a caring home are much better.

Heidi