[RC] [RC] To breed or not to breed - please Rethink - Sarah W

I have to add my own opinion here, as I actively try
to help unwanted animals all the time - dogs, cats,
and horses.  I have even considered trying to rescue
parrots.  My most recent excursion was bringing home 2
reg. Arab weanlings that were unwanted.  Their
breeding is mediocre, and both have excellent
dispositions.  I'm awaiting to see the final outcome
of their conformations.  These poor guys were brought
into the world by a backyard, hobby breeder who
couldn't find someone to take them.  And,
consequently, didn't have room to keep them due to her
next crop.  She had at least 3 other weanlings in the
same predictament when I picked up mine.

Before breeding, especialy for hobby, go hang out at
the local weekend auctions.  Visit with the local
rescue groups.  Whatever you do, REALIZE how many
unwanted horses are floating around waiting to find a
home.  Sure, everyone loves babies, and you're talking
small scale breeding only.  But for every horse that
is brought into the world, you're potentially taking
away a home for a horse that was already here.

A suggestion, if you're interested in working with
weanlings, talk to a locally established breeding farm
to see if they want any help during their season.  I
do not mean to trample the grand idea of responsible
hobby breeding, but I have seen what happens when no
one wants a horse.  I have rescued 5 different horses
(every horse I've ever owned) directly resulting from
backyard breeding.  I have only placed out 1 with a
new home, but still have her foal (that was born on my
farm) who is now a 2yr old. And definitely did not
recover my costs with her.  Should I sell the 2yr old,
it will be a hard sell - he lacks in height from
improper breeding.

Please consider this point of view before jumping into
breeding.  You are getting the same arguement that my
neighbor gets, as she is strung out to breed for QH
foals every year, but hasn't placed out any from her
last 2 seasons - and then complains about her high
feed costs.

Sarah
Lansing, MI