Re: [RC] To breed or not to breed - sharp penny

Ok ..I need to clear up my "in vogue" statement. I'm
coming from a paint horse backround and breed horses that
are serious competitors at the world show level in western
pleasure. There are certain stallions that are very hot
right now because they are consistantly putting babies on
the ground that carry a level topline naturally, are flat
kneed and deep hocked in their movement as well as
naturallly pack their tails. (all what we look for in a
western pleasure horse) Horses by these studs command a
higher sale value. If you have an own son or daughter, they
will bring more money than an equally talented horse out of
a no name bloodline. Very rarely will you find  one of
these horses in the sale pen unless it is a high classed
auction where the sale average is high.
JMO but, I feel to be a successful backyard breeder (which
was what the original post was asking about) it makes more
sence to breed to the stud you know has been consistantly
putting "winners" on the ground and therefore is "hot" in
regards to that certain dicipline. You also need to
research what these popular bloodlines cross well with the
bloodlines of your mare. I am also a huge advocate of mare
power. If you are trying to "clean up" a mare with the stud
then you are already behind the eight ball.

Regards,
Penny

Just my observation over 30+ years as a breeder, but
breeding for what is in
vogue is just about the worst reason to breed (please, no
offense intended
here) because the fads change so rapidly.  The kill pens