Re: ridecamp-d Digest V98 #39

>------------------------------
Paula,

	We buy "No Ad" sunscreen from Eckerds Drug Stores.  It's cheap and it
works great! Kim.

> [...]
>judgements regarding trail difficulty not made well, MANY courses not
measured
>well) and course designers (ditto) and good old mother nature....there ARE
>instances when times cannot be met through NO fault or decision on the
part of
>the rider.  I still vote for total RIDING time, not just total time.
>
>Teddy
>
>------------------------------
>
>Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 12:59:15 -0700
>From: "Robert J. Morris" <bobmorris@rmci.net>
>To: "Steph Teeter" <step@fsr.com>, <ridecamp@endurance.net>
>Subject: Re: AERC completion time rule - feedback wanted
>
>Steph & Ride Camp:
>
>Long before the Trilby/Les episodes (my apologies to you both, but this is
>how it is recognized) I find in the 1980 Ride Managers Handbook (Jim
>Remillard was AERC Pres.) the following:
>
>A prescribed maximum time is usually set for completion of the ride.
>Typically this is 12 hours for 50 miles, and 24 hours for 100 miles
>
>This was an offshoot of the Tevis "100 miles in one day". My records do not
>extend back beyond that as far as Ride Managers handbooks are concerned.
>
>I have always been in favor of the 12 hour rule and continue to do so. (as
>you can see from my recent posts.)To me it is disconcerting to have
>persons,  with inadequately prepared horses and/ or not properly prepared
>themselves, who are not willing to be prepared to COMPETE, be given the
>same recognition as those persons making the effort.
>
>If at my age (and that also includes Arlene and many others of like
>longevity such as Bill Ansenberger, Julie Suhr and Bob Suhr and many
>others), if we ask no quarter, no special conditions, then let the younger
>set, those wanting special  considerations show why they REALLY need them.
>
>To finish is to win and winning is not a given in life
>
>Bob Morris
>Morris Endurance Enterprises
>Boise, ID
>
>----------
>> From: Steph Teeter <step@fsr.com>
>> To: 'bobmorris@rmci.net'; ridecamp@endurance.net
>> Subject: RE: AERC completion time rule - feedback wanted
>> Date: Tuesday, January 13, 1998 11:23 AM
>>
>> Bob - I have a couple questions for you:
>>
>> As Joe Long pointed out, there was originally NO time limit
>> imposed by AERC. The rule came about because of individuals
>> trying to ride a billion miles in one season, and the only way
>> they could do it was if they walked the entire course. So they
>> did, and it kept ride managers up all night and drove everyone
>> crazy.
>>
>> So, were you in favor of the new time limit rule when it was
>> proposed? I assume you were competing at the time. And
>> if so, why was 12 hours the magic number? This is still a
>> pretty slow pace for a *real* endurance ride.... and when the
>> rule was originally put in place, did it address the question
>> of variation in hold times, or did that come about later?

as color, but their new pad system...

>The one I rode during the Tevis had booties and the whole system was
looking perfect and did peerfectly work, I mean for Sukaro HCC, Steph's
arab gelding.

>But now they changed this and the saddle was delivered with a so_called
'numnah' which is made of 2 parts :
>- one is a white fleece shaped as a saddle with felt on one side and
something looking like wool (but it can be synthetic as well) on the other
side.
>- the other part is something looking like a regular dressage/jumping
saddle pas, but with a whole shaped as a saddle in the middle and velcro
attachments.

>No schema, no explanation or getting started to be found...
>
>I think that the white fleece goes on the horse with the whole part in
contact of the horse and the felt in contact with the panelling system.

>The pad with the whole seems to be there only as a finishing touch, maybe
to protect or hide the panelling system and presumely goes on top of the
first pad and around the saddle.

>Are other ridecamp buddies experimenting this new system and can you tell
me if I am right or not.

>Thanks for help
>
>Leonard, from Belgium
>
>------------------------------
>
>Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 12:50:24 -0800 (PST)
>From: guest@endurance.net
>To: ridecamp@endurance.net
>Subject: Osceola National Forest post; Osceola l00 results Post;
>
>PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO GUEST@ENDURANCE.NET!!!
>You must post replies to the actual sender listed below.
>
>From: Jean Wonser
>Email: cpfjean@bellsouth.net
>
> Please determine the problem as the two above news items do not appear on
the Archives other than their respective titles (January l2 and l3, l998).
As a browser  I'd like to read  the results. etc.