Re: [RC] Riding posture - Karen Sullivan

I rode bareback for many, many years ,and still do at times.

The easiest way to ride was a relaxed position (relaxed rider is
always better for the horse; with no gripping)...and so ended up
sitting back on my pockets, relaxed and flexible slumped lower
back..and legs and feet forward as balance....my horse never had a
sore back and I rode for hours at  walk, slow trot and canter over
rough terrain.  Riding down very steep hills i did really lean back
and grip with my thighs; up very steep hills I rode in more of a
forward seat position with some thigh grip, holding onto mane and
leaning up and forward...rest of the time i rode pretty loose

The only time i got my body forward and my thighs gripping was to
jump, or again, barrel up really steep stuff...

Posture is important, but not at the expense of having to grip to stay
on, or bouncing on the horse;s back....what they consider bareback
equitation in the show ring won't get you very far down the
trial...and any time you try to keep your body in any kind of form,
you stiffen and can almost squeeze yourself up off the back of the
horse......

Having relaxed muscles that allow you body to move totally with the
horse is the key, I feel.....
Karen