Re: [RC] Posture & Pickups - Kathy Mayeda

Having done both Parelli and Centered Riding (Donna Snyder-Smith is a
Centered Riding instructor - I learned CR from Becky Hart and her
coach Mary Fenton), I get totally flumoxed with my riding style.  I
often have to undo what I learn in Parelli when I take my dressage
lessons.

The Parelli's are studying dressage with Walter Zettl and I am curious
to see how much this changes their program in the future.

There's a lot about the way that the Parelli's teach people to ride
that drives me nuts.  I see where Linda Parelli is trying to get
students to get the feel of the horse naturally, but when you
perpetuate exaggerated movements it looks silly.  It becomes a habit
in some people, rather than a learning tool, because it gets taken out
of it's context.

Dave Ellis, one of the top Parelli trainers, advised his clinic
attendees not to take dressage lessons until you get to the upper
levels of the Parelli program because it would only create confusion.
The Parelli program is a "horse training program."  It's true.  But I
refuse to let things become a habit that I have to unlearn in the
future, because I do want to be able to ride in dressage form.

I just got the new Levels program from Parelli.  I found it rather
interesting that you don't really need to know to how to ride until
Level 2, then you get tested with a Casual Rein (loose rein).  You
don't get tested with a shorter rein until you want to pass Level 4!

K.