[RC] Cleaning horses hooves - Andrea Day

As far as cleaning hooves daily, my take on this is "it depends."

If I have my horses across the street grazing on the forty acres of sagebrush and cheatgrass, I don't pick feet except when I ride. I may check for rocks, but don't bother to dislodge any soil.

OTOH, if I have them penned up in the corral as I do now, I try to get out there at LEAST every other day.

In the field, they're on more or less clean dirt and romp around. This tends to throw out packed dirt clods. Their feet always look and smell good, even the old boy with a tendency toward thrush in wet weather.

In the corral, there's a lot more manure and now mud, and they move around less. If the old boy is going to get nasty feet, this is when he'll do it.

Windows Live™: E-mail. Chat. Share. Get more ways to connect. See how it works.