Re: [RC] FEI is OK with Bute ... no reaction from the US? - Truman Prevatt

Susan wrote:
Excellent posts on the subject.  Most of AERC riders have no interest in FEI rides and are thinking, "So what?  Bunch of idiots! (Except for our friends that ride FEI, of course.)"

So...we're having an AERC ride that is also a FEI ride.  Now the rules are drastically different.  If a horse, cross entered in the FEI race and AERC ride, is found to have a legal amount of bute in him according to FEI rules, does he get placed in the FEI race and DQd in the AERC ride?

Susan Young
Bottom line such a person is not there most likely for the AERC ride - they are there for the FEI ride. Getting DQed in the AERC ride would not be a big deal. The second thing to ask yourself is what now happens when this same person gets suspended for one year from AERC rides. Does that mean they can show up at an AERC and cosanctioned FEI ride and still ride in the FEI ride? They have not violated the FEI rules.

On the members list the details of the FEI rule have been posted.  " On November 19, 2009, the FEI General Assembly adopted the so-called  "Progressive List" which allows the administration to a horse of phenylbutazone (bute), flunixin (banamine) or salicylic acid (aspirin) within 24 hours of  competing in an FEI event."

I do not believe very many AERC members support the drugging and running of horses in endurance rides. It's time for the AERC to completely sever all ties - official and non-official with the FEI/USEF.

Truman

--
“The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently

“The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently.”  Friedrich Nietzsche