[RC] AERC members should come first...ALWAYS - Lisa Salas

Since when is it ok for AERC to sanction a "special" ride for FEI
riders? Oh I know, they are AERC members as well but something isn't
right about this situation. Sugar coat it all you want, it is NOT a
sweet deal. It's not even reasonable.

So these FEW riders needed a ride to qualify for "stars" and a ride
manager decided to go out on a limb and put on a ride for them. Which
is her choice. Oh I know it is open to AERC members as well...for the
same outrageous price. The RM is charging the high prices to cover
sanctioning and fees for FEI and we all know that is expensive. But
how in the world is that justified for plain 'ol AERC riders? It is a
"bare bones" ride with no goodies so why would regular members need to
pay that amount? The RM isn't going out on a limb for them. $500 for a
fifty milers? Where is the sense in that??

If AERC and RM's want to cater to FEI, (and they do) AERC members
should come FIRST! If AERC and RM's are going out on any limb, it
should be for the AERC members FIRST! !

So the idea was to discourage other riders so as not to interfere with
other local and established rides. However, if AERC sanctioning is all
the Dr. Q. said it is, bruceweary wrote:
While a mere $25 sanctioning fee won't get you concierge service at
your ride, or arrange for porta-potties, it will assure all parties
involved, especially prospective riders that are considering
attending, that appropriate procedures are being followed in putting
on a ride, and that all results will be recorded in the AERC
database.", then how come the powers that be allowed this ride to
happen knowing full well it was cost prohibitive to it's own members
and that it could potentiality impact other established rides?

How does a $25 sanctioning fee for AERC riders turn into a $600 entry
fee?? How can an AERC member even consider attending that? AERC
members have a right to attend any and all rides and AERC should not
encourage or allow RM to put on "exclusive" rides. Who can afford $600
to have a ride recorded? How is it appropriate procedure for AERC to
allow a ride for another organization and also make it cost
prohibitive to it's own members??? That doesn't even make sense. Even
non-members only pay $15 extra. If AERC is sanctioning the ride and RM
is going out on a limb for FEI riders, then darn it, the ride should
be MORE accessible to AERC members. AERC members should have the
option to attend this and all rides, FIRST and FOREMOST!!!!!

Oh I know, it is a one time thing.

Sure. I would bet it's not. I would bet this is more of the same to
come type of deal. Do any of you really think this is none of your
business? AERC is for YOU!!! Not FEI, and not for any stars. Come on
people, it can't just be me!!! I can't support AERC anymore but if I
can't stand by and not say anything, how come the rest of you can?? If
I think the members are not being respected by the very organization
that they pay membership to, how come those of you who are members do?
If AERC/FEI riders need rides for what ever reasons, fine. BUT, not at
the EXPENSE of the AERC membership. If USEF and FEI need those riders,
let them pay for the ride. After all, they hand out those huge checks
to winners all the time. Which,by the way, AERC DOES support when it
makes special accommodations for FEI rides.

Let's see, AERC won't record miles for members in which a RM hasn't
sent in appropriate fees, which really should have nothing to do with
the members because THEY paid all of the appropriate fees, BUT AERC
will sanction a ride just for FEI riders. REALLY?? That is no body's
business??? Okie-dokey.

By the way, I too, once went out on a limb to sanction a few AERC
rides. ALL ride managers go out on a limb every time they put on a
ride. I can't say I "lost" money because I never went into it hoping
to make money. But it was VERY, VERY expensive. Which was my choice as
it is with all ride managers.
I also was asked by a select few to put on a ride. I declined. I also
quit putting on rides. Not because of the cost, but because of the
crap that went with it. Things haven't changed much and that is sad.

Lisa Salas, the odd fArm