RE: [RC] AERC members should come first...ALWAYS - Nancy Mitts

I  really don't have a dog in this fight, but , hey, it's cold & rainy today. Here's a few things to chew on.
First, I'd be surprised if any "FEI" riders that show up are not also AERC members.  So, which AERC members are  okay to "come first" and who are NOT?
When the ROC was AERC sanctioned it also had a higher than "normal" entry fee, and stiff qualification requirements. I guess that was a bad thing.
Tevis also has it's own rules and culture, AERC be darned. Throw it out the AERC window.
The AHA distance championship rides in Oklahoma a couple weeks ago were organized solely for the AHA members. Yes, there were open AERC rides along with them, but the rides would not have existed except for the AHA Championships.  Higher than "normal" fees for this region. Again, I'd be surprised if anyone in the endurance championships wasn't also an AERC member.  They may have been some of those FEI people, too! And, imagine, there was a CTR Championship right in the middle of it. The audacity! It was a really big deal that the Arabian show community recognized their distance champions in conjuction with their National Show. It added another 100 mile ride to our region. Improvement to the trails and camp will be there for other rides to use . But gosh, not every AERC member rides a registered Arabian so maybe that shouldn't have been allowed either.
The majority of the membership can't make it to all those 5 day rides out west, eliminate those, too!
My only concern with "special" rides is when they knock a "regular" ride off the schedule. It sounds like the FEI ride in question is trying really hard not to do that and is getting slammed for it.
I know FEI is an easy target, it's not MY thing either. Be careful what you choose to throw rocks at because only a "few" AERC members want it. That applies to a lot of segments of this sport. Alienate a few members here and a few members there, next thing you know membership is on a downward slide and then........

Nancy Mitts

"How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg?
Four.     Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg."

  -- Abraham Lincoln