Re: [RC] fencing question - Sisu West Ranch

Personally, I don't like high tensile.  Have seen severe injuries to horses who got caught in it.  It doesn't break, and is thin so it cuts really bad.  One side of our winter pasture abuts a neighbor's stallion pen.  The pen is both steel panels, and high tensile.  A mare caught her rear leg on the high tensile.  Quite a mess.

For many years we have used Horseguard Fence.  Available online at:

This wide tape is available in Brown or Green.  It is sturdier than common tape, and has stainless steel wires.  There insulators also are very well designed.  On new fences we use two strands of it.  On our old barb wire fences, and now next to the stallion pen, we use the standoff insulators.  Keeps the horses a foot or so from the barb wire.

We are quite careful to keep the electric working.  In 10 plus years we have only had one case of running through it.  There were no injuries, all we had to do was collect the naughty horse.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875