[RC] Fencing question - sharon . hahn

I installed the coated high tensile wire at my old place, lived with it for 8 years, and liked it so much I installed it again at my new place.  It's the high tensile wire, but coated with a white vinyl so it's much less likely to cut the horses than bare wire.  I have the non-electrified version - the animals put their heads through all the time, but then the fence has a nice weed-whacked appearance along the bottom!  It is also available in electric (the coating has a metal stripe in it) if you don't want the animals touching it.  I have never had an accident or injury with it and the fence requires just a few minutes of tightening once a year or so.  3 to 4 strands are sufficient for horses; I have 5 because I have llamas, too.  The only caveats are:  brace the corners well and make sure you put in enough posts.  The dealers tell you you only need a post every 50 feet or so, but I cannot imagine this working well.  I have mine set in every 10-12 feet and they are sturdy wood posts, not T-posts.  In case of problems, this fence is very easy to fix - I had a tree fall on it and had it back up good as new by myself in 1/2 hour.

As a side benefit, this fence provides pretty good visibility to the horses, especially when used with wood posts, but you can still see through it for unobstructed scenic viewing of your property. And, with the non-electric, you, the person, can crawl through the fence for convenience without getting zapped.