[RC] Correcting an absent-minded leader - Sharon Hahn

I thought this post was going to be about the etiquette of telling someone you are riding with;  "Um...weren't we supposed to turn back there?"

For correcting a horse that leads poorly, I swear by the Clinton Anderson method - keep a few feet of lead between you and the horse, and every time he starts to get in front of you, immediately flap the rope, sending big waves down the rope toward the horse's head.  Do this the second the horse breaks the plane and gets their nose in front of your body.  You might have to do it every step or two for a few minutes, but you should see improvement within the first 5 tries or so.  Your horse will act very alarmed, throw their head up in the air, and back up, and it may even seem for the first few times that this is worse than the leading problem, but they learn very quickly to hold themselves back (vs. staying back because there is only 2 inches of rope between your hand and the halter!!).  It was the only thing that worked with my young mare, who could be very pushy.

--
An Excellent Credit Score is 750
See Yours in Just 2 Easy Steps!