[RC] Correcting an absent-minded leader - Ruth Maher

So my new horse is home as of Saturday, and I took him out for a walk this evening so we could spend some time together. The entire time, he tried to walk ahead of me gawking at everything. So, of course, I tried to slow him down.

To correct him, I'd bump the halter a couple times and say "easy," just trying to keep my cool but remind him of who was in charge. Problem was, when I bumped the halter, he'd over-soften and turn toward me—basically crossing in front of me—or step into my path. To compound the problem, he never did slow down, so there was never a chance for me to reward him for making the right decision.

So, is there another way to correct him that won't pull him toward me? Or do you think the problem will resolve itself once he settles into his new herd hierarchy with me? He was fine at his previous home.

Thanks,
Ruth