[RC] re: Do you wear a protective vest? (was: helmet thread) - mary

This topic is very fitting for me this week.  I went out last Sunday to Riverside State Park which takes about an hour to drive to.  While I was driving there to meet Kathy, I wondered what I might have forgotten to put in the trailer and mentally started going through a list.  There are some things you can do without, and other things you can’t.  Then there are the iffy things.  I quite often leave my brain at home but manage to ride without it.   I have yet to forget my saddle or bridle - but what about my helmet? If I forgot it, what would I do?  I decided that if I did forget it, I would ride carefully.  After all, my horse is so much better about not spooking and spinning.  My seat is much stronger and more balanced since Centered Riding. So I should be OK – right?   Fortunately though, I did bring my helmet – and I really mean fortunately. About 13 miles into the ride, we were going at a good clip and I was following Kathy. I was 2 pointing as the speed I needed to go to keep up was just too choppy to sit. Now I can’t swear to all this, but we went around a curve and there were 2 small trees growing in the middle of the trail that I was following.  A decision had to be made in a split second as to where we would go – right or left and my horse immediately made the choice for me.   I remember seeing the trees,  Gracie decided to go left and so I followed her lead by leaning and ducking to the left also.  I know now that I must have hit the tree with my shoulder (the big bruise on the front of my shoulder told me this) and got knocked off.  Last thing I remember is seeing the trees coming at me. I woke up 1 or 2 minutes later on the ground in pain and very nauseous trying to talk myself into getting back on my horse and riding the 12 miles back to the trailers.  My brain was definitely scrambled for me to have even considered it.  After throwing up we decided that was not feasible. Fortunately I had my cell phone and the GPS function was turned on so that EMS could find us. It also helps to ride with a nurse which Kathy is.  I ended up having a cat scan and staying in the hospital for 3 days with 5 broken ribs and a concussion.  Just think, if I felt that way after falling WITH my helmet on I imagine I would be dead now if I had not been wearing it.  After all the muscle spasms I had every time I moved this last week, the pain of getting out of bed and off the couch and just the pain of just breathing, I have decided to add a safety vest to my list of things to wear when I go riding.  I’m also thinking that adding the safety vest might help my husband quit asking me If I am sure I want to keep riding.  Try breaking ribs and getting a concussion and you might change your mind about the different safety precautions you use. I hated the idea of wearing a vest since it might be hot and certainly is not a good fashion statement.  I would much rather ride without a helmet and definitely without a safety vest, but I would also rather be alive and able to ride than to be Humpty Dumpty.

- mary