RE: [RC] competitive vs herd bound - Lif Strand

At 10:40 AM 9/15/2009, RHONDA LEVINSON wrote:
I have a mare who is both competitive and herd bound. She wants to catch AND PASS other horses, but once in front, she'll keep checking to be sure the other horse is back there. It's not enough to simply catch the horse and hang out with him or her; she wants to be in front. If that horse falls back, however, she'll be reluctant to move out. She'll do it if firmly instructed to do so, but she'd rather that other horse come along.

I'm not sure what is being described is actually competitiveness as much as herd hierarchy behavior. Competitiveness is striving to reach a goal before the next person (or horse or whatever). "Racing" is something that horses might naturally do when young or feeling feisty, but in the endurance situation I'm not sure it applies.

When one horse catches up to another, an instant mini-herd is formed. Each horse is going to strive to establish hierarchical position within that group - even if they both (or all) want to be in front, they are establishing hierarchy, not racing. They could just as easily establish hierarchy by stopping - whereas you can't race unless you keep going. The goal of hierarchy is very different from that of racing.

It seems to me that Rhonda's mare is exhibiting normal hierarchy behavior where she is seeking to assert herself when she reaches a group of horses (whether it's one horse or many). When she has established her "dominance" (a term I don't like to use with horses) or her self-perceived right to the position at the front, she has established a relationship that satisfies herself within that group's hierarchy. Being with another horse or a group of horses is natural and safe for an individual horse, so Rhonda's mare would naturally not want to leave the group once she's established the position she is comfortable with. All horses are inclined to be herd bound, particularly later in a race when a horse is more tired and therefore more vulnerable and more seeking the safety of a herd .

Horses like this need to establish a stronger bonding with and focus on the rider than the herd in order to not become distracted by the pull of each mini-herd that could be formed on the trail. At least, that's how I understand these situations.

Lif C. Strand
Local Economic Development
Catron County, New Mexico USA

www.critterwalls.com