[RC] NC/Holds - paul

I much prefer fewer holds. Those 30 minute deals are not restful. By the time
you take tack off, vet through, and re-tack, you haven't rested your horse, or
yourself. I loved the Tevis vet check model of mostly gate and goes with only
two holds of one hour.  We were able to vary our self made hold times/ rest and
refuel stops to suit ourselves. At some of the gate and goes we spent 10
minutes. At some we spent almost 30 minutes.

Here is something to think about. The Duck XP rides all have only one hold for
the 50 miles don't they? Look up their completion rates. Look up how many
horses there complete 2-3-4 or even 5 days. Look up how they do on career
longetivity. Now compare that to the AERC averages.  Any difference? My
question would be, what is the concept that we need two holds in a 50 miles
ride based on? Is there any research to support that belief?

In 2007, the Old Dominion  added a second hold to the 30 mile LD. It was really
hot, and the thinking was that we needed to give the horses more time to rest
and cool off. The way it turned out was that only 2 out of 45 entries finished
the 30 mile ride in time. The second hold killed us. The horses just stayed
hot, and couldn't move (we were in a wooded area with zero breeze, and tight
quarters). My feeling is that the second hold hurt much more than it helped.

For those cooler times of year, how much good does it do  a horse to stand
still for 30- 45 minutes in a cold rain/sleet/wind circumstance after going
15-18  miles  at the trot and canter? We put sheets and blankets on them, but
it seems to me that they are still going to be more likely to get tight or
cramped muscles.

Anyways, it is something to think about.

Paul N. Sidio
Spokane MO