Re: [RC] Spooking - Truman Prevatt

Elyse Carreno wrote:
Truman-I think most horses prefer that dark woods environment as odd as it is-a lack of underbrush so they can see all around them. I guess nervousness in open areas harkens back to the wolves on the plains days of horsedom. This has been a challenge coming from the mountains in Virginia to Kansas! Oh no-that rustling grass clump of grass may contain vicious teeth and claws!
Clearly you are not referring to the dark woods of Florida - which are for the most part so overgrown that a lion, tiger or bear could easily hide - and eat the poor Jbird. He seems oblivious. I've ridden him out West. I remember a ride in Capitol Reef National Park. We were on a plateau where you could see for ever. He was fine not one issue. Put him on a two track road - he's from side to side. I have no idea why. I've blew a groin muscle on an endurance ride handing on when he spooked at a brunt log as we canter along. He from one side of the dirt road to the other in one stride. I stayed on but couldn't finish a ride for 6 months from the injury.

Truman

--
“I maintain there is much more wonder in science than in pseudoscience

“I maintain there is much more wonder in science than in pseudoscience. And in addition, to whatever measure this term has any meaning, science has the additional virtue, and it is not an inconsiderable one, of being true.” Carl Sagan