Re: [RC] Spooking - Truman Prevatt

When I lived in the Sarasota area, I always found the wild hogs that roamed around the palmettos to be quite exciting when they decided to take off.  The good thing about the FL sand hills is it is so dry because of  they are sand hills and hold little water - we don't have a lot of pigs except along the rivers.

I, however, remember many hog encounters in Myakka River State Park :-( .

Truman

Jennifer Fleet wrote:
For the first several months of the 2 1/2 years I loved in Florida, it was a constant battle to sit Shahtahr's spooks.   All of the trails seem to be lined with very dense palmetto.   Shahtahr just wasn't used to not being able to see what was on either side of him down by his feet.  Every rustle in those palmettos (armadillo, bird, whatever) resulted in a spin or a huge jump sideways.  I was really reaching my limit when he seemed to get used to it and was pretty much back to normal.  Then of course, we moved back to CA.  lol

Normal, for this horse, is GREAT on winding mountainous single-track trail, terrible on wide open roads with trees or brush on the sides, and so-so in open-field type of situations.   It seems that on the mountainous single-track, he's got a lot to concentrate on and I think he enjoys those, so nary a spook.   Wide roads with stuff on either side, he's not preoccupied enough to not spook, so if he senses ANYTHING off to the side of us, he'll spook bad almost unseating me.  If we're in the middle of nothing, we can hand gallop, trot, canter, whatever and he'll be pretty much okay until he gets bored, and then he'll do his sideways jumps...but not the spins I got in Florida when he couldn't see anything through the palmetto.

Jennifer

--
“I maintain there is much more wonder in science than in pseudoscience

“I maintain there is much more wonder in science than in pseudoscience. And in addition, to whatever measure this term has any meaning, science has the additional virtue, and it is not an inconsiderable one, of being true.” Carl Sagan