[RC] need advice about Caja - asap! - Marlene Moss

Ok, I am a total moron or blind or just oblivious to anything that doesn’t fit into my world view I guess!  I told Deirdre that my husband and I would do Caja del Rio when she was looking for entrants.  We’ve ridden there in the past and liked the ride.  But I completely missed that it is a 50 only.  So if anyone who has ridden it recently can tell me about the current trails (and any guess about the true total mileage) and help us decide if it would make any sense for us to attempt the 50, I’d appreciate it.

My husband’s horse – mature, but a checkered past and not forward, we’ve been bringing him along slowly for mental reasons.  He was off at the beginning of the season for an abscess and has61 miles of training in August (12-15 mile rides) on similar enough terrain.  He is rarely in to leading but getting better.

My horse – young, recently started, not forward for conditioning, got a little insane the 11 miles of Ft. Meade before I pulled him.  He’d hit a rock in his stupidity, I wasn’t able to put rear boots on him at the time, now I can.  He has 73 miles in August.  I think he could be willing for 50 miles if I rate him well at the beginning and can keep other horses in view in front of us.

The weather looks to be good for Santa Fe (low 70’s), the vet checks are in camp which helps us.  I don’t remember the terrain being really tough, but I only rode the LD several years ago.  Is anyone planning on going that is planning on doing a well paced, slower ride that doesn’t mind us using their horse for mental incentive?  My horse is quite capable of leading, he just gets slow at the walk, so he can do his share, it will just help for him to have mental breaks.

We thought about going to Nebraska instead for the Sunday ride (health papers say Santa Fe though) and it is going to be in the high 80’s plus probably humidity?  Opinions please.

Thanks,

Marlene

Marlene Moss

www.LosPinos-CO.com - boarding, training, sales