[RC] spooking - Susan Aldis

 Barbara

I have a horse that I have been riding for 10 years (he`s now 14) that used to spook and bolt about 1/2 a miule before his brains would re-engage. Now thankfully he only scoots, however at a trot or worse yet, a lope, something will catch his eye - like a strange plant, different colored dirt or a shadow and drop out from underneath me, and teleport to the left about 8 feet. I used to break a lot of bones; but on one ride  I discovered that if I rode him with my spurs on  when he would leap away in the nano second that it took him to do it, my leg ( and spur) would nail him while I was thrown off balance and shoot him back underneath me! It worked for the sideways and suck-backwards spooks, and it worked quickly-just my body`s momentum would get that quick hard jab when I was leaving my saddle. It has cut down on the impromptu dismounts about 90%. It has also cut down on the dramatic leaps. I think he has figured out leaping has unpleasant consequences. Now when I feel him tensing up I just gently bump or rub his side with the spur and tell him to move on. When he was a youngster and generally more spooky I also gave him homeopathic aconite before each ride and this helped quiet his nerves.
Sue Aldis Simpson

New! Open Hotmail faster on the new MSN homepage!