Re: [RC] Help! Need advice regarding treatment of crusty,scabby thinggies! - Don Huston

Hello,

If this goopy stuff is yellowish and sticky before it dries your horse has tick bites. Ivermectin every 4 weeks will help. Fly spray will help. Hosing with lots of pressure (a nozzle) will blast off the ones that have not attached. Ticks do not like water. I use my fingers and smash up the sticky stuff and it crumbles and I pull it out leaving the hair. The entire tail bone and mane at the roots is probably full of the clumps. Once you spend the time to clean everything up and rub fly spray into the roots to kill all the ticks (very hard to see them sometimes) then daily grooming and a small spritz of fly spray will keep the horse mostly tick free. Ticks cannot bite you like a spider or ant so do not be afraid to pick them off and mash them with something hard like between a pebble and the concrete wash rack. Do not just throw them, they will crawl up onto the next animal or you. Stepping on them rarely works either, they are too tough.

Don Huston