Re: [RC] Erratic Spooking - Carrie - Marv Walker

At 07:03 PM 9/2/2009, Kitley, Carrie E Civ USAF AFSPC 30 MDSS/SGSLF wrote:
But, why is this? :/

Carrie

Marv said: Horses that are abnormally or erratically spooky very often have cervical issues. The sides of your horse's neck must mirror each other. Any bump or dip on one side must be on the other side. The groove between the mandible and the axis/atlas must be the same width on each side. The axis/atlas must be perpendicular to the face and parallel with the eyes.

Vertebra that are out of alignment are called subluxations. The body wants/needs them to be properly aligned so that nerves can work properly. The dips and bumps are the body's efforts to pull them back into place. These are very often painful because the body doesn't want them stressed further and protects them.

When we have stiff sore necks and we need to look at something off
to the side we have to turn our whole bodies.  Easy enough because we
pivot off our central point.  No part of our body is farther than a few
inches away from the central point so our turn is relatively smooth.

When a horse with a stiff neck turns its body to look at something
that needs looking at NOW there is often someone sitting on its back
a foot or so away from its pivot point.  The farther you are out on
the pivot the greater the speed you have to deal with.  If you watch
bull riders you'll see those closest to the withers come off fairly
easy.  Those nearer the rump are flung like a lure on a fishing rod.

Many vets scoff at subluxations and thus at chiropractic.  They say
that if the vertebrae were off enough to see them the horse would
be dead.  And that's true.  However, the swelling you see is not the
vertebra, it is the muscles trying to protect and re-align it.

I have seen so many problems resolved by chiro it is no longer a
curiosity.  Chiro really doesn't cost, it pays.

Hope this answers your question.  If not, let me know, I'm sure I can
jumble it better.

Marv "I have never heard an animal say, 'Well, it was getting better
before I had the treatment.'" Walker
Horse Info & Training DVDs ~ http://MarvWalker.com