RE: [RC] Help! Need advice regarding treatment of crusty, scabby thinggies! - EnduroGal

Hi, Don.  Thanks so much for your response.  The stuff on my horse's front
pasterns is more like a resin rather than yellowish and sticky.  Seems a bit
like hair gel that's been allowed to dry, and then some of the hairs are
stuck together in little hard-ish clumps.

I haven't gotten out my magnifying glass to look for seed ticks, but I wash
my horse down and spritz him with fly spray each time after I ride him - so
he's usually very clean (unless he goes rolling in the dirt somewhere when
he gets back into his pasture) and I've seen no ticks or other cooties.
Definitely no hard, clumpy thingies at his tail bone or the roots of his
mane. The scabby things on the fronts of his pasterns are definitely just
scabby things, and not ticks.  I'm thinking that if it's a poison ivy-type
reaction, such as the ones I sometimes get, the skin could blister and maybe
ooze a bit, and that's what's causing the resin-looking stuff.  It's either
that or plant sap.

Also, don't forget... he's getting a little bit of the hairless, flaky thing
going on across the front of his face (looks like he's got a bit of the
"resin" there as well), which could indicate he's been sticking his head
into some unfriendly plants to graze.  Definitely no ticks there, or I would
see them.  He also has that small, scabby spot on his left croup and some
small scaley looking spots on the fronts of his rear cannon bones.

Anybody else out there have some ideas as to what this could be?  All
comments welcome - I'd like to get to the bottom of this mystery and get it
cleared up!   As I mentioned earlier, I shampoo my horse with MicroTek
medicated shampoo after I ride him (specially formulated for scratches,
rainrot and girth itch) then spray him with MicroTek spray, but lately it
doesn't seem to help.  I wish I could get him completely out of the pasture
for a while and put him in a dry lot...