Re: [RC] The Benefits of Challenge - Barbara McCrary

The southern Sierras are the most beautiful mountains one can imagine.  They are not for endurance riding, but hiking and just taking in all the spectacular beauty and ruggedness.  When we went backpacking as a family between 1962 and 1974 (every year) I used to sit on a boulder and imagine now many fireplaces could be made from all the massive granite mountains around me.  We went cross-country, down glaciers, up mountain passes without trails, even down a 200-foot cliff once (no trail, just cracks in the rocks for footholds and handholds).  I was tied to a climbing rope and belayed by one of our daughters...otherwise I wouldn't have made it.  The point being....it's the southern Sierras that are so spectacular, not the northern ones.

Barbara
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, August 11, 2009 2:19 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] The Benefits of Challenge

But alas - I just could not see leaving the spectacular Rockies - and we didn't. So for me - it is the simple fact I can't get passed the Rockies ;-) .

The Sierras are o'kay but they are not the Colorado Rockies - not even close.

Truman
--

?I maintain there is much more wonder in science than in pseudoscience. And in addition, to whatever measure this term has any meaning, science has the additional virtue, and it is not an inconsiderable one, of being true.? Carl Sagan