[RC] 2009 VVRides Series - John Teeter

Ok, Beth's questions basically led me to the starting gate.

I've been procrastinating starting the VVRides this year b/c of the overhead of setting everyone up with their vet cards (log books:) - but (drum roll ....) --

the first of the 2009 Very Virtual Endurance Rides will start this coming thursday at sun-rise and run for 5 days, ending at sunset on Monday. (Jan15-Jan19). To register, you'll need to join the www.my- endurance.net 2009VVClassic group (http://www.my-endurance.net/group/ 2009vvclassic)

The short 2009 VVClassic(tm) will allow us to focus on the process of collecting and recording the following:

Distance, Average Speed, Trail (TrackLog), Start Time, Arrival Time, Pulse Time as the general parameters of the "phase". Then the following:

CRI
Mucus Membrane
Capillary Refill
Jugular Refill
Gut Sounds
Skin Tenting
Anal Tone
Muscle Tone
Back/Withers
Tack Galls
Wounds
Gait
Impulsion
Attitude
Overall Impression

Basically, those things which one would look at during a normal vet check at a real ride.

This information is kept on-line in a google spreadsheet which is set up for each entrant. In addition, each entrant will need to keep a log of the ride phases in their rider blog and to submit pictures of their partners and of the trail.

Last year, there were 4 rides in the VVRides series. The most impressive (IMO:) results were turned in by Flora Hillman at the VVMarchMaddness ride:

http://www.endurance.net/VVMarchMaddness/http://www.endurance.net/ VVMarchMaddness/

I'll use (without her permission:) Flora as exempliary VVRider of 2008. Her 400 miles during the month of March, summarized in her blog here:

http://www.my-endurance.net/profiles/blog/show?id=932467%3ABlogPost %3A15984

with a blog entry for each phase, exemplified by:

http://www.my-endurance.net/profiles/blog/show?id=932467% 3ABlogPost%3A14577

Set the standard for which all VVRiders might aspire!!

Flora's Vet Card (Log Book?) may be found at:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pSZI6yofLEAV9v_cR6RV-Kg

So, I will post more information soon. The only requirements for entry are:

1 - you must be a member of the my-endurance.net social network
2 - you must have a google user id
3 - you must have a(t least one) horse, mule, zebra, or burro
4 - you must have access to the internet to submit your ride data

The Very Virtual Endurance Rides, where a mile is a mile, no matter where you do it or how long it takes you. It's the DISTANCE that does the trick:)

Stay Tuned!!

jt