Re: [RC] high respiration - Barbara McCrary

Have him checked for emphysema?  They can get this from dusty hay.  Over the past 35 years, we've had two horses with this condition.  They could take air in, but had to push hard to get it out..."double expiration."  It is not a cheerful prognosis if he does have it.

Barbara
----- Original Message -----
From: Dana
Sent: Sunday, January 11, 2009 7:04 AM
Subject: [RC] high respiration

I have a 10 yr arab/quarter who competed successfully in endurance several years ago.  The previous owner let him sit for over a year before I bought him.  I have had him 4 months.  He is now in condition however his resting resp. is usually 16, at work it rises to 160 + .  His nostrils are usually quite flared, trying to take in air.  His respiration recovery rate is 3-4 times as long as my other horses.  Vet has checked him, heart, temp are great.  I have tried galloping him up short hills to get him to take longer, deeper breaths.  I live in central ca and he is not kept in an inside stall so small airway disease is unlikely.  any ideas?

Dana