From: Diane Trefethen <tref@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [RC] Purple Flowers
To: "Ridecamp" <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sunday, January 11, 2009, 3:25 AM

Color blindness can be very subjective.  From the point of view of the
individual "afflicted", they don't perceive themselves as color
blind. In the human species, most color blind people are male and the
"defect" is passed to sons by their mothers.  My mother-in-law was not
color blind but her son, my husband, could not differentiate green from blue.
His daughters are not color blind but one of them has a son who can not tell
green from blue.  Thomas was doing just fine, blissfully unaware that
"green" and "blue" weren't different words for the same
color.  He called grass "green" because that's what everyone else
called it, not because he could see that it was "green" and not
"blue".

So, are horses color blind?  Well, from their perspective, no.  The world looks
the way it looks and if to a horse, everything is really shades of gray, so
what?  The horse can see things as well as he needs to.  Then to add another
layer of confusion, not all "colors" are in the human visible
spectrum.  Light is electromagnetic radiation.  Humans see a very narrow range
of the EMR spectrum.  The lowest we see is red, the highest is purple, or
violet.

Trichromatic insects, such as honeybees, have three types of pigment receptors,
like we humans do.  However, their three pigment receptors do not coincide with
ours. The spectrum of colors visible to insects is a little higher in frequency
than what we humans can see.  So, while violet light is the highest frequency of
color humans can detect on the electromagnetic spectrum, many insects can see a
higher frequency of light invisible to us, ultraviolet light.  Though we
don't know (because we can't see) the "colors" of the
ultraviolet, with modern frequency attenuating and filtration techniques, we can
interpret them visibly and suddenly the world looks very different. Flower
petals are decorated with intricate patterns highlighting their reproductive
areas and the adjacent sources of nectar for visiting insects. Even the most
apparently drab butterflies display hugely sophisticated patterns.

Might it be that horses share this talent?  That they too can see into the
ultraviolet?  Perhaps flowers that appear to us as plain purple are really
reflecting oscillating patterns of ultraviolet light so that insects see a
bright, wavering neon sign that says, "FOOD HERE" while horses simply
see a fluctuating series of waves that are disquieting, and if we could see
them, even nauseating.  To a horse, that carpet of purple might look like an
undulating ocean of flickering and flashing light.  If so, it's no wonder
that they'd want to steer clear of those pretty, purple flowers.