[RC] Horse not fitted up - safe to do an LD? - Jennifer Fleet

Hi all,

Due to a move across the country amidst other things, I have not competed on my gelding Shahtahr, in 1 year and 8 months.   The last thing we did was in Florida (I lived there for 2 years), a 27 mile CTR in November of 07 (it was hot, humid, and lots of sand and we finished great).   Prior to that, he has always had a good base, competing pretty regularly in NATRC rides and being conditioned in the hills of Sunland, CA, where I lived for years before moving to Florida.  I am now back in CA (Fresno) as of last December.

After the one CTR in Florida, we didn't compete again.  Since then, Shahtahr has just been a pleasure horse....some weeks not ridden at all (but always kept on a minimum of two acres of pasture), other weeks ridden 2-3 times.    Pleasure rides would vary from 3-4 miles to 10-12 miles.  These were all in Florida, so no hills to speak of.

For the past seven months, we've been back in CA.   I didn't ride for almost the first three months, due to a lot of rain and also not knowing anybody here to ride with, and just getting settled and so forth.   Starting early March, I started riding him once or twice a week...again, rides varying from very short 3-4 milers to maybe 7-8 miles.  Some hills, but not much.  Nothing even resembling a serious conditioning ride.  I figured I'd wait until fall when it cooled off, and start training again.

Shahtahr has basically had it made in the shade for the last year and a half.  LOL

So.....now I'm tempted to do the Fireworks ride in Santa Cruz, CA this weekend....some dear friends from CA will be there that I haven't seen in ages and I really want to go.   I would just do the LD and the daytime temp is supposed to be 68 degrees.   Ride mgr said it is rolling hills, not too steep, but a lot of them.

Am I being selfish to take Shahtahr on an LD at this point?    Would he still have any of his base left from his prior years of doing rides consistently, or is having 1 1/2 years off, doing just very light short rides, not enough, and I should stay home?

Any advice or opinions appreciated.  I need to mail this entry, but I keep hesitating.   I've always read that most horses, if kept in pasture and not stalled, can easily do a 25 miler if not raced.   I tend to believe that, but thought I'd ask all you wise, experienced riders.  :)

Btw, Shahtahr has been living on several hilly acres with a herd of four others, since March 1st.

Thanks, and waiting to go to the mailbox with my entry form.....

Jennifer and Shahtahr