Re: [RC] So How about them SPIDERS~ - Katrina Mosshammer

I can't say anything about the spiders but I learned something interesting about Benadryl this weekend. We held the first ever Spur of the Moment Ride at the T-Spur Ranch in Finley, OK. When I got back to camp on Fri. afternoon a lady's horse had gotten loose and had wandered off from camp. They had been out on 4 wheelers looking for most of the afternoon but had not found the horse. Well my friend and I went out to do the last couple of miles that needed to be checked and to loosen up my mare for the morning. As we were leaving camp we heard this plane flying very low over head and it just kept circling the ranch, so we figured it the ranch owner must have called a friend with a plane to look for the horse. Well we get about a mile down the trail with the plane overhead following us several times, we hoped he wasn't mistaking my grey mare for the missing grey horse, and we com around a bend and there is the horse just standing there grazing. We didn't see the plane again after that so we figured he must have seen us find the horse. Well we caught the horse and we weren't sure we should pony the strange horse, my mare can get a little witchy we she is ponying her own buddies so we didn't want to take a chance with someone else's horse. So I ponied our horse the she was riding and she led the horse back to camp. We cut across the field behind camp so it would only be a 1/2 mile back instead of following the trail. I offered to do the walking but Amanda said she was fine. (You're probably wondering what this has to do with Benadryl at this point.) Well the meadow has chiggers and by Sat afternoon Amanda's ankles were completely covered in bites. She had a reaction to them because some had even blistered up and she said she wanted to scratch her skin off it itched so bad. One of the vets was listening to us talk about it and he asked if we had any Benadryl. I did but she didn't want to take it because it makes her all droopy (I'm the same way). He asked if they were caplet and he said with caplets you can bust them open and make a paste and put it directly on the bite. So she tried it, but skipped the paste making and just poured the powder directly on the bites. She said it worked! She couldn't believe how much better they felt. So we learned a new trick and Amanda told me the next time she offered to be all noble, I shouldn't let her. I should insist on walking and make her ride the horses back.

Katrina Mosshammer (AERC # 5763)

Sent: Wednesday, July 01, 2009 11:04 PM
Subject: [RC] So How about them SPIDERS~

How many of you have run into spiders in your hay room and been bitten AND then become SO reactive you have to carry Benadryl everywhere you go? Am I the only one?? Actually, I wondered if anyone knows where the Benadryl chewable children's grape might still be available - can't use those little strip things - ever put one of those in your mouth on  fast horse?? About choked me! Anyone know.... chewables??
Sand
Sandy Adams
Deep Sands Arabians

=