[RC] Fw: CT Region - Spur of the Moment -- last minute update - 6-27-09 - Katrina Mosshammer

FYI... for anyone attending SOTM. I hear the catered dinner might be homemade chicken fried steak!! YUM!! See you there!

Katrina Mosshammer (AERC # 5763)

Sent: Tuesday, June 23, 2009 11:01 AM
Subject: [AERC_CT_Region] Spur of the Moment--last minute update

Yep--it's gonna be hot! The good news is the high pressure causing this cap is supposed to leave Friday and a gradual cool down start. Unfortunately that's a "relative" cool down. We marked trail last weekend and except for about an hour at noon, there was spotty shade over most of the trail. (There are a couple pastures where there simply are no trees, but you're not in them long.) The ponds are lower that I hoped, but still have water. We'll put buckets on ropes out in case you don't want to get into the mud around the edges. We're also putting out three water tanks, so you shouldn't have over 3-4 miles between water sources. We plan to have a spotter about half-way on the loop with cold water for riders. The way the ridge runs, there is an almost constant breeze over the entire trail. Camp is in a low area so not as breezy, but on trail, most of the time air is moving. We're designating two cool down areas for vet checks, and putting a big canopy up in one of them, so you should be able to get horses into shade while cooling out. Additionally, Gared Dale is brining his big shop fan that we plan to put inside the treeline in one of the areas to pull that cooler air into the area and keep a breeze on the horses. Although your rigs will probably be in the sun, you should be able to get pens in the shade. For those who don't want to go back to a hot trailer during breaks, there is plenty of shaded area available so you can bring your break "stuff" up and can keep in the shade--just think like you would for an out-of-camp check). Only 3 riders have asked for late arrival, so I hope we can actually start before 6. If no one objects, we can maybe start as soon as you can see the trail.

One extra perk--the Tuckers have made one of their rental units available for anyone who doesn't have LQ trailer and wants to grab a shower. It's about a mile from camp.

REMEMBER: The ranch is catering a meal for Sat evening--sounds like plenty of good food!!

Mary Mosshammer, AERC #85
Remember--Riding is the art of keeping the horse between you and the ground!!

Microsoft brings you a new way to search the web. Try Bing™ now